DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Star Island Corporation is currently seeking a Director of Development to lead all aspects of fund development. Located in the Isles of Shoals, New Hampshire, Star Island is ten miles from mainland New Hampshire and is operated as a seasonal religious and educational conference facility. As a 501(c)3 non-profit founded in 1915, Star Island is governed by a board of directors elected from our membership. The Corporation employs a small number of year-round staff and between 100 and 120 seasonal staff. The Director of Development is a critical team member as Star Island relies on donations from individuals and organizations to operate annually and for essential capital improvements and initiatives.
Traditions started by individuals from the United Church of Christ and Unitarian Universalist Association in 1897 are carried on through our programs, conferences, and personal retreats. For over a century people have visited Star Island to learn about matters of consequence and explore the world as it might ideally be -- removed from the constraints of mainland life.
- Creates plans and initiatives to expand and maintain a robust pipeline of potential individual and planned giving.
- Develops goals and strategies for all fundraising campaigns in conjunction with the CEO, senior staff, and the Board’s Fund Development Committee.
- Implements an ambitious annual fund program designed to increase unrestricted revenue each year.
- Manages a portfolio of individual and planned giving donors, achieving a pre-determined target of face-to-face engagement, solicitation, and stewardship visits per year. Fulfills cultivation and solicitation goals as outlined in each fiscal year operating plan for individual and planned giving program.
- Manages all components of the Star Island Corporation planned giving program, including prospect engagement and donor stewardship initiatives.
- Oversees fundraising events in support of the annual operating plan.
- Oversees Corporate Sponsorship Program with specific identified goals.
- Expands the resources of the Star Island Permanent Trust by seeking bequests, planned gifts and other gifts to the Star Island Legacy Society.
- Researches, writes and obtains grants from foundations, corporations and non-profit agencies.
- Develops an annual operating plan for individual and planned giving, detailing the action plan in support of monetary goals and including metrics for performance of program and team members, as well as volunteer leadership.
- Meets with donors and prospective donors to create and foster relationships.
- Recruits and directs volunteers for fund-raising tasks and programs and ensures that volunteers receive fund-raising educational counsel when needed.
Qualifications, Experience, Knowledge, Requirements:
- Bachelor’s Degree required; advanced degree preferred.
- Overnight stay/Residency on Island during scheduled times. Transportation to and from the island as well as rustic on-island housing and meals are provided at no cost to the employee.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in designing and managing development programs.
- Demonstrated success in soliciting and closing major and planned gifts toward meeting overall programmatic unrestricted and restricted goals. Experience in management of front line gift officers.
- Demonstrated effective leadership and proven initiative to manage, inspire and advise Star Island Corporation’s volunteer leadership including Board and committee members and conference leadership.
- Highly effective oral and written communication skills; excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong strategic and analytic skills, demonstrated problem solving ability.To learn more about Star Island Corporation please visit our website at www.starisland.org
To Apply: Please visit https://starisland.applicantpro.com to apply.
Please submit a resume, a cover letter outlining how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position, salary requirements and a relevant writing sample (example: donor solicitation letter). All documents should be submitted in the resume upload section.
All completed applications must be received by Friday, December, 1st 2017
At Star Island we appreciate the value and richness of different perspectives and experiences. We constantly strive to be a more diverse and inclusive workplace. We work to make you feel welcomed and engaged as a valued member of the team. We provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, Star Island will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.