ZendeskSan Francisco, California, USWelcome to the Octillery Team - your next job
We are building a product from the ground up that will impact the entire Zendesk product suite. We have a rich set of experiences in our team - building highly trafficked distributed systems on the cloud (GCP, AWS), web security and embedded systems. Many from our team also have had experience building successful startups. We believe in the growth mindset, and that we all have something to learn from each other.
We are looking for an experienced front-end developer to join us and to own and build the front-end portion of our product. Your knowledge and experience of the modern web front-end stack will be a critical addition to the team! Attributes we're looking for:Humility -
We are on a team together, and we will succeed or fail together. We are looking for people who work well as a team, and have empathy for each other, our peers at Zendesk, and most importantly our customers. Honesty -
We are a team. We are vulnerable with each other. We keep each other grounded and joke around a bunch, but we also ensure that we keep the conversation honest and open so that when something looks off or is headed in the wrong direction you won't hesitate to speak up.Optimism -
Failing is part of growing and experimenting. Push the boundaries and you may fall flat on your face. But if you can't see the rainbows through the failure foliage, you'll struggle much more than you need to.Communication -
We use our team's values of humility and honesty to guide us as we communicate. PR reviews are a learning experience for everybody. In order for our team to succeed we will need to build trust and empathy across the global Zendesk Engineering organization. What you get to do
You should have some of these skills
- Be a part of a larger team that is building a product from the ground up that will impact the entire Zendesk product suite, but comfortable being the first UI engineer in the team - starting from scratch, and defining the best practices and tools for the UI development.
- Work side by side with your team to shape the APIs you will be consuming.
- Share your knowledge of front end technologies with the rest of the team.
- Mentor and guide junior team members by reviewing their code submissions, code pairing, and being a sounding board.
- Collaborate closely with our embedded designer to turn mockups into reality.
- Choose your stack but also co-exist inside of the Zendesk front end ecosystem (garden.zendesk.com).
- Deliver enterprise grade software and experience some of the challenges presented working at a global scale.
- Participate in all phases of the software lifecycle including discovery, prototyping, technical design, defining scope with Product Managers, implementation, testing and rollout.
- Champion best practices, high quality code, and appropriate test coverage. We ship code frequently and fast, but stability and reliability must never be compromised.
- Self-driven, detail oriented, diplomatic - you can keep all things moving while delivering great work.
- Hands-on experience and shipped products using web front-end development technologies (React / Ember / Angular or equivalent).
- Strong knowledge of HTML, DOM, CSS, CSS preprocessors / SASS, CDNs, browser cache expiry/cookie domains, asset versioning.
- Experience debugging and improving frontend page render performance.
- Strong knowledge of JS, including ES6 and upcoming features in ES2017.
- Git & Github experience, comfortable handling complex merges with frequent regularity.
- Experience with some of these tools: for testing and deployment browser automation tools (Selenium / PhantomJS), task runner systems (Grunt / Gulp), package management systems (Browserify).
- Adept at turning wireframes and mockups into HTML / CSS with a working knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator and Sketch.
- Exposure to and experience with server-side languages (Ruby / Node.js / Golang or equivalent).
- Commitment to code ownership; you don't believe in throwing code over the wall and instead believe in taking ownership of design, development, testing, deployment and operational issues.
- A college degree or a good reason for not having one.
Zendesk builds software for better customer relationships. It empowers organizations to improve customer engagement and better understand their customers. Zendesk products are easy to use and implement. They give organizations the flexibility to move quickly, focus on innovation, and scale with their growth. Based in San Francisco, Zendesk has operations in the United States, Europe, Asia, Australia, and South America. Learn more at www.zendesk.com
Interested in knowing what we do in the community? Check out the Zendesk Neighbor Foundation
to learn more about how we engage with, and provide support to, our local communities.
Individuals seeking employment at Zendesk are considered without regards to race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation.