As Vice President of Learning, you will direct BetterLesson’s point of view on the theory of teaching practice. We envision this role as responsible for articulating and evolving the “how” and “what” of our work with teachers and other educational leaders, then collaborating closely across the BetterLesson organization (e.g., product, engineering, sales, services) to ensure that this pedagogical vision comes to life in classrooms across the country. In many respects, it is hard for us to conceive of a more critical responsibility for the continued success and leadership of our company. You will report directly to the founders of the company.
You will focus on four main functional areas:
- Establishing and, over time, adapting the pedagogical underpinnings for BetterLesson’s work, based on data and research and enhanced by leveraging your network of resources and experts to incorporate the latest developments and trends.
- Promoting the company and yourself as a thought leader and subject matter expert in the professional development of educators to further our brand and market position.
- Recruiting, hiring, and managing a team of curriculum designers and content curators to build and develop BetterLesson’s instructional resources based on our pedagogical point of view.
- Coordinating across the many BetterLesson stakeholders responsible for building and delivering our services to ensure productive coordination and feedback loops across the company.
Brand-Product Marketing, Product Management, Social Service, Documentation-Technical Writing, Business Analysis-Research, Junior-High School, General-Other: Training-Instruction, Elementary School
- a proven leader with outstanding management and interpersonal skills;
- a clear and professional communicator, both verbally and in writing;
- highly self-motivated and capable of working independently and as part of a collaborative team;
- experienced in a data-driven and impact-focused environment;
- passionate about education and BetterLesson's social mission; and
- comfortable embracing the experimentation, risk, speed, and failure inherent to startup hustle.
- collaborate with our coaches and customer relationship managers to develop and define the key components of effective learner-centered pedagogy;
- apply instructional design insights to refine our coaching methodology and student learning theory;
- build a point of view on timely topics and issues within education professional development, such as credentialing/micro-credentialing and evaluation frameworks;
- present at conferences and other industry events to evangelize BetterLesson’s perspective on teaching practice and enhance BetterLesson’s brand and market position; and
- work with our product team to shape the development and strategy for our current and future products and services.
- a bachelor’s degree;
- 4+ years of classroom experience;
- 7+ years of experience in instructional and/or curriculum design in a school, district, academic, or business environment;
- a unique and compelling viewpoint on the future of K-12 classrooms and learning models; and
- a deep understanding of continuing education and professional development models for educators.