This position directs the daily production activities in the area of operation by coordinating all aspects of production-related responsibilities in a safe and cost-effective manner.
Essential Functions of Position
- Supervises salaried/hourly personnel as needed in performing their daily work assignments.
- Monitors employees performance, including; safety compliance, absenteeism and tardiness, work practices and adherence to plant and federal rules/procedures/regulations, work efficiency, job tasks and assignments, etc.
- Supports and assists supervisors in delivering hourly performance evaluations to help employees understand their responsibilities and departmental objectives.
- Performs and assists supervisors in performing employee job performance against defines procedures (standard work).
- Actively participates as a member in the area People Pillar process to define and edit standard work documents and other procedures, and coordination employee training on revised documents.
- Ensures effective employee relations. Provides employee coaching and development, and discipline as required. Resolves employee issues through problem resolution. Builds an effective and functional team environment.
- Balances responsibilities of all plant functions to achieve positive results in all areas of responsibility. Works to continuously improve in all areas.
- Monitors and maintains product quality per customer and product specifications.
- Monitors and maintains environmental compliance of all plant processes including visible emissions, DP's, scrubber flows, and water discharges.
- Monitors and maintains reliable production in all plant processes, and making suggestions for improvement.
- Actively manages to reduce waste, in people, equipment and processes.
- Maintains required reports for above and other activities.
- Manages departmental performance measures and provides regular progress reports.
- Provides leadership through proper planning and communication
- Ensures a safe work environment for all employees and performs accident investigations as required. Responsible for preparation of safety reports required for internal use and MSHA reporting. Performs safety process audits including work areas, housekeeping, pre-shift exams, workplace inspections, etc. Assists and supports supervisors to immediately address deficiencies discovered during employee workplace examinations and pre-shift inspections. Performs task observations of employees to look for areas of improvement. Prepares and documents weekly safety talks for Supervisors. Participates in MSHA inspections if required. Implements new safe work practices and procedures, and documents training.
- Performs required clerical functions, including; employee payroll, Title V and MACT records, operations data, inventory reports, production reports, safety talk documentation, makes callouts to fill rosters and make emergency repairs, creates work requests, etc.
- Prepares weekly production schedules, employee schedules, cleanup requirements, etc. to meet budgeted staffing requirements.
- Manages department priorities.
- Attends and participates in plant meetings including safety, reliability, daily production/maintenance communication meeting, etc.
- Participates in plant Learning Teams to determine improvement in processes, tasks, and conditions.
- Functions as the leader of the area Reliability Pillar, driving improvement through analysis of KPI's, downtime incident and pareto analysis.
- Actively participated as a member of the site Supervisory Vision Team.
- Assists in yearly capital project and budget planning.
Responsible for all other duties as assigned.
A high school diploma is required; BS or BA in an engineering or production related field (or equivalent experience) is preferred. 10+ years experience in a Lime production or similar industry, with 5+ years supervisory/management experience. Must be a take-charge person with excellent people skills, results driven, with a demonstrated ability to lead employees and get results through others. Must exhibit the Core Values of Mississippi Lime Company, and recognize others who do. Coordinates completion of plant goals and objectives through supervisors and hourly employees. Ability to think ahead and plan over a specific time span and prepare action plans to achieve results. Supervision skills, including developing, mentoring, and when necessary, disciplining employees. An ability to balance and achieve positive results in the areas of safety, quality, environmental, plant reliability, productivity, cost efficiency, waste reduction and employee relations in a unionized environment. Must be a team player with strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to manage multiple priorities. Coordinates with the maintenance department for scheduling completion of maintenance activities on production equipment and machinery. Must be able to learn and understand all plant processes, attend and complete a supervisory certificate program, achieve and maintain Method 22 certification and maintain First-aid/CPR certification. Must have a good working knowledge of MSHA and other regulatory requirements. Must be able to use electronic and manual systems for organizing and tracking plant activities. Must be able to drive change and provide leadership for the area Operational Excellence Program.