EDG Inc.Electrical Engineer - (1016)Job Title
Electrical EngineerDate Opened
Columbus, OHCareer Level
The Electrical Engineer is responsible for the development and implementation of the electrical design, controls design, and programming requirements for the project. The Electrical Engineer coordinates with other disciplines to ensure an integrated design that meets the project requirements.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare detailed plans, technical specifications, and reports;
• Perform calculations and process data using computer software or other established methods to support electrical engineering and control system design efforts;
• Document all calculations;
• Gather equipment data and specifications and interpret as required to incorporate into the design documents;
• Conform to EDG, client standards, and best practices;
• Prepare cost estimates for design implementation based on project requirements and client needs;
• Design power distribution systems based on utility requirements and project requirements;
o Design of low voltage and medium voltage distribution systems;
o Identify best practices for power distribution to eliminate safety issues and provide cost effective solutions for clients;
o Identify potential safety hazards, such as Arc Flash issues, and implement design changes to correct such issues;
o Direct Electrical Designers in developing power distribution drawings and documents;
• Design industrial control systems (such as PLC, HMI, push button and relay controls) based on project design criteria and client requirements;
o Design systems appropriate for project scope and budget;
o Identify best practices for control systems designs to provide cost effective solutions for clients;
o Direct Electrical Designers in implementing control system designs;
• Design lighting and lighting power systems based on project requirements, local codes, and client requirements;
o Perform lighting calculations using various lighting software packages or other established methods.
• Direct work of Electrical Designers;
o Explain project requirements and design concepts to Electrical Designers, Drafters, and clients;
• Provide support for client as required and directed by project manager;
o Document conversations with clients where any design decision is made;
o Notify project engineer or applicable project manager of client requests that change requirement or scope that may affect cost and schedule;
o Identify project change orders and share with supervisor prior to completion of work;
• May perform necessary field work to obtain accurate information for the design; travelling to project locations, duration dictated by project requirements and/or logistics;
• Additional duties as assigned. Job Requirements Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• BS in Electrical or Electronics Engineering required, MS preferred;
• Familiarity with all electrical and control systems and all applicable industry codes and standards;
• Working knowledge of the NEC and other regulatory standards;
• Ability to understand and perform basic calculations;
• Ability to understand and utilize client or company provided specifications;
• Ability to utilize applicable engineering software and established technical tools;
• Ability and availability to work on multiple projects simultaneously;
• Ability and availability to work overtime as needed based on project;
• Ability to effectively communicate technical information verbally and in writing to different audiences (electrical design staff, clients, etc.);
• Basic Microsoft Office skills with proficiency in Excel required;
• Ability to interact with staff at all levels.
Work is primarily conducted in a non-smoking office environment (Private or Semi-Private Office) but also requires occasional travel to off-site work locations.
Field duties may require outdoor work in a plant, facility or terminal environment.
Interaction with other team members, as well as supervisors and client personnel.
Working in plant and/or shop areas around production machinery may include areas with extreme noise levels.
Must be able to wear safety equipment as required by the safety department for personal protection.
May be at more than one job site in a day and must be able to tolerate climate changes.
May be required to travel out of town on a periodic basis.
Must be able to lift and carry 20 pounds;
Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing or other communication capabilities, with or without reasonable accommodation, which permits employee to communicate effectively;
Ability to sit for prolonged periods of time with or without reasonable accommodation.
Sufficient vision or other powers of observation, with or without reasonable accommodations, which permits employee to conduct analysis and investigations;
Sufficient manual dexterity with or without reasonable accommodation, which permit the employee to perform routine office duties;
Sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, with or without reasonable accommodations to perform office duties and travel when necessary to off-site locations.
This job description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
Drug Free Workplace:
EDG Inc. and its subsidiaries are committed to a drug free workplace.Applicants are subject to both pre-employment hair and urine drug screens.Post-hire, employees are subject to random, periodic, post-accident, and reasonable suspicion drug testing which may include both hair and urine drug screens. In addition to the requirements of EDG's drug free workplace program, employees may be required to sign, acknowledge and comply with drug free workplace policies or programs required by clients.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.