Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.Function
Full TimeOverview / Job Summary
Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods. Our North America division is seeking to add a talented Production Manager to its leadership team at our Clayton, NJ facility. The purpose of this role is to provide leadership, guidance and support to assigned work areas to ensure production and quality standards meet customer requirements and Company objectives.Responsibilities Include
- Maintains a safe working environment by complying with Aleris HSE standards and policies, all state and federal regulations, and company policies and procedures.
- Implements and maintains the safety program in the facility's production department. Maintains a constant vigilance for safe and healthy working conditions of employees. This includes responsibility for maintaining a high standard for housekeeping practices. Make employees aware of job hazards directly and through subordinate supervisors. Ensures proper safety training of employees and compliance with company safety rules and procedures. Investigates accidents to determine and eliminate the cause. Works closely with site HSE personnel.
- Directs and monitors department supervision to accomplish goals of the manufacturing plan, consistent with established manufacturing and safety procedures. Act as liaison between department supervision/subordinate levels, as well as, executive/department manager levels to inform personnel of communications, decisions, policies and all matters that affect their performance, attitudes and results.
- Identifies, recommends and implements changes to improve quality, productivity and reduce cost and scrap, monitor scrap and rework data. Direct the establishment, implementation, maintenance and ongoing review of production standards.
- Achieves production plan, operating within costs as budgeted for stated production levels in the fiscal year. Controls recovery on materials and other direct and indirect costs.
- Develops and maintains a smooth functioning communications system with departments and other personnel. Ensures good communications among and between shifts and crew.
- Recommends replacement of existing equipment as needed and follows up on actual performance against estimates. Accumulates costs and statistical data on major repairs and assists in long range planning.
- Provides support in technical matters by participating in discussions of the metallurgy of aluminum and its alloys with other professionals, customers, vendors, engineers, etc.
- Assists in hiring, training, development, coaching and evaluation of staff. Provide clear objectives to subordinates. Take corrective action as necessary on a timely basis and in accordance with company policy. Ensure compliance with current federal, state and local regulations. Consult with Human Resources Department as appropriate.
- Participates on Aleris Operating Systems (AOS) and continuous improvement teams and initiatives.
- Works within the parameters created by the ISO9001:2008 quality system, including the preparation of the facility for quality system audits.
- Ensures that documentation and controls are appropriate for organization.
- Provides support as required to the operation by performing other duties as requested, directed, or assigned by the Plant Manager.
- Bachelor's degree (engineering or related technical field preferred), plus 7+ years leadership experience in manufacturing and/or quality management preferred. Should be combined with a demonstrated track-record of accomplishments as a Manufacturing and/or QA Manager, additionally with satisfying customers.
- Experience working with manufacturing based technology, processes and principles and knowledge of Lean Sigma and ISO9001:2008 is preferred.
- Strong analytical, problem solving, communication, organizational and interpersonal skills. Computer proficient. Ability to work independently with minimal direction
- Ability to provide clear task assignments, create a shared understanding of strategic direction, promote a sense of purpose and inspires motivation. Possess a strong customer orientation.
- Ability to bring together appropriate people and information to make timely, effective decisions and to work in conceptual and theoretical project design and for the creation of improved systems.
- Must possess strong decision making and problem solving skills including the ability to solve problems while exhibiting practical judgment and realistic understanding of the issues involved.
- Must be able to overcome obstacles and find reasonable resolutions to situations on a case by case basis as encountered.
- Ability to demonstrate effective team leadership and team membership skills. Understanding of empowerment concepts.
- Must have the ability and confidence to make decisions relating to role's accountabilities; Must exercise discretion when determining if direction from manager is needed.
- Ability to learn new software packages quickly and applied knowledge to daily tasks and projects.