Aleris is an equal opportunity employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or status as a protected veteran. Our HR teams will reach out to the applicants who met the qualifications and most closely aligned with requirements of the positions.Function
Tech, R&D and EngineeringRelocation Available
Full TimeOverview / Job Summary
Aleris is a global leader in the manufacture and sale of aluminum rolled products, with approximately 14 facilities in three geographically aligned business units in North America, Europe and China. We serve a variety of end-use industries, including aerospace, automotive, defense, building and construction, transportation, packaging, and consumer goods.
Our North American Operations is seeking to add a talented Senior Rolling Engineer to its team. The location is flexible, but will require travel between North American sites. The purpose of the role is to optimize the operation and reliability of hot and cold rolling processes within Aleris, by driving standardization and implementation of best practices, identifying and realizing process technology improvements, and improving operational knowledge though well documented procedures and corresponding training curriculum.Responsibilities Include
- Technical Reference and "gate keeper" for all major technical changes related to the rolling processes in North America.
- Develop standards and specifications for future asset additions and modifications.
- Develop and maintain a capability/ opportunity matrix for the rolling assets at each plant, relative to safety, quality, reliability and production.
- Lead standardization of appropriate assets and procedures between plants.
- Identify best rolling practices and coordinate forum for exchange and implementation between plants.
- Maintain a network of rolling industry contacts with skills in automation, installation, repair, operation, and training.
- Assist/ lead trouble-shooting and continuous improvement events, where needed, utilizing Aleris tools such as: Aleris Operating System (AOS), Root Cause Failure Analysis (RCFA) and Aleris Process Control (APC).
- Take initiative in continuous learning and development through outside resources, and regular exchanges and alignment with European and Asian colleagues.
- Identify, develop and conduct rolling training relevant to the products and processes in the North American plants.
- Assist each rolling location in developing Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all aspects of the rolling operation.
- Ensure that each rolling operation has identified Key Process Parameters (KPPs) and have corresponding control and reaction plans, based on known cause-effect relationships.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering/ Science field, or equivalent.
- Profound knowledge of hot and cold rolling processes - Mechanical & hydraulics, Chemical, Physical, Electrical & controls, Measurement systems, IT platforms (level 1- 3), inclusive of hot and cold rolling coolants and systems, automatic gauge control (AGC) and shape control systems.
- 10+ years of experience with the aluminum rolling process is preferred.
- Six sigma green belt or black belt preferred.
- Key behaviors and skills should include:
- Ability to think and act strategically.
- Exceptional resourcefulness, judgment, analytical and interpersonal/communication skills.
- Ability to interface and communicate professionally and effectively with all levels of the organization.
- Experience with Microsoft Office programs.
- Proven ability to lead technical team across multiple sites.
- Ability to multitask and perform under deadline pressures.
- Possesses strong sense of urgency demonstrating the ability to react to situations quickly and effectively.
- Team player with the ability to work collaboratively across all functions and departments.
- Ability to demonstrate strong initiative to proactively handle problems as they arise in an environment with multiple priorities.
- Positive, high energy, and self-motivated.
- Ability to travel to various Aleris operating sites and vendor locations.