Clemson University's Erwin Center for Brand Communications seeks an executive-level leader with both professional marketing and academic experience to direct the activities of the Center.
The Erwin Center was founded in 2012 to help prepare students for careers in marketing and advertising. The Center seeks to provide through the College of Business and its departments educational programing and content to become the most sought-after, diverse and digitally-proficient brand communications talent pipeline in the country. The efforts of the Executive Director must serve this goal.
The Erwin Center is built on the idea of instructors with current client/agency experience facilitating student work on real projects with real clients. Its Executive Director can be no less than an extraordinary, driven leader with both a passion for today's world of brand marketing and an unyielding commitment to preparing Clemson students to compete for positions with the nation's leading marketing agencies and brands. The Executive Director would act much like a CEO of the Center, directing growth in a strategic capacity, representing the Center in a range of internal and external environments, managing communications as well as tactical administrative activities and mentoring students. Limited teaching and research could potentially be part of the role, depending on the selected candidate. The balance of these activities would be determined and defined in advance with individual candidates as part of the interview process. Applicants are encouraged to submit any initial perspective on their vision for the role they could play in leading the Center, and/or the particular strengths they could bring to this role.
The ideal candidate for this position will have the knowledge of and current connections to the marketing industry, as well as familiarity/experience with the academic realm. The ability to work closely with the Clemson Foundation and Erwin Center Board of Advisors on national development and fundraising is of particular importance for this growing Center within the Clemson University family.
Additional responsibilities of the Executive Director will include:
• the creation and development of a curriculum that is based on real-world needs from marketing agencies, marketing departments and other members of the creative services professional community
• financial and personnel management of the Center, including attracting and hiring adjunct faculty well-suited to the innovative, engaging Erwin Center student experience
• attracting top-tier marketing industry leaders as speakers, internship providers and potential funding sources for the program
• further developing the Center's focus on the constantly-changing digital landscape and its impact on the marketing industry
• creating programs to enhance the classroom curriculum that will introduce students to the marketing industry and enrich their Erwin Center experience
• collaborating with other Departments and Schools within the university, at other institutions, and with brands and organizations to explore opportunities for mutually-beneficial partnerships
Those with strong brand or agency experience and a demonstrated commitment to developing this field's leaders of tomorrow are encouraged to apply. Master's level degree preferred. Salary is competitive.
Bachelor's degree with Master's preferred and significant industry advertising experience.
To ensure full consideration, please submit a cover letter and resume by February 23, 2018. This position will be open until filled.