The Director of Health Economics & Outcomes Research (HEOR) is responsible for the development of therapeutic area specific HEOR projects and strategies including their tactical execution across a variety of potential product types (pharmaceutical, device, digital health). The individual will ensure the successful implementation of assigned programs/projects through appropriate research design, project management, analysis, interpretation and dissemination of HEOR evidence to appropriate stakeholders.
The Director HEOR, in collaboration with department leadership, is responsible to ensure that health economics, outcomes and quality data are produced to ensure the scientific medical understanding of the potential value and real-world impact of Otsuka products across the area of therapeutic interest for payers, healthcare providers, and patients and caregivers.
- Design and implement health economics and outcomes research strategies and associated studies that support the clinical, economic, and patient centered value propositions, as well as reimbursement requirements for Otsuka products and therapeutic areas of interest (primary focus in the US)
- Advise and support medical affairs and clinical project teams in the design of clinical trials/studies with health economic and clinical outcomes assessment (COA) endpoints in alignment with market access and regulatory authority requirements, working with department COA experts as needed.
- Serve as the interface to support pharmacoeeconomic and real-world evidence needs across the Otsuka Medical Affairs Department and other functions including market access, payer marketing, medical affairs, government affairs & advocacy and clinical development to define payer value proposition of Otsuka portfolio of products
- Oversee pre-, peri-, and post-launch research, either through external vendors and consultants or internal staff.
- Prepare and review study protocols and reports, including preparation of statistical analysis plans (SAPs), and development of cost models.
- Present health outcomes projects and information to groups internal and external to the company, including regulatory authorities, key opinion leaders, physicians, and medical and outcomes research conferences.
- Lead assigned publication planning and execution coordinating with Otsuka Scientific Communications personnel.
- Support preparation of medical or payer advisory meetings to solicit feedback on Otsuka products and therapeutic areas specific disease impacts.
- Identify and support the execution of projects that directly support the economic and quality strategy for Otsuka products
- Develop product dossiers and other projects that support different aspects of formulary submissions
- Manage budget resources allocated to assigned projects Evaluate the healthcare economic, outcomes and quality-related value of products/therapies vs. other therapies and/or interventions with data from clinical trials and/or epidemiologic studies and produce data and tools
- Work with HCPs, payers and other appropriate organizations to identify evidence needs and to develop economic tools and models for such audiences
- Assist department leadership in ensuring the alignment of evidence generation strategy with the with overall product/portfolio strategies
- Assist Outcomes Management colleagues in developing patient and caregiver education and payer awareness materials on disease, unmet need, and quality of care
Travel (approximately 30%)
- Willingness to travel to conferences, various corporate locations, and stakeholder meetings, including overnight trips.
- Some international travel may be required.
- Requires approximately 30% travel.
- PhD or Masters in Health Economics, Outcomes Research, Health Services Research, Public Health or related discipline with at least 8 years' relevant experience
- Experience in outcomes research including dossier submissions for reimbursement, COA research including questionnaire design, evaluation, and/or analysis, and in design/development of pharmacoeconomic models.
- Knowledge of the Healthcare industry including the pharmaceutical industry [R&D, clinical research and commercialization (marketing & sales)] as well as health technology assessment bodies, managed care marketplace, hospital systems and integrated systems of care.
- Knowledge of epidemiology, economics, psychometrics and medical writing
- Strong expertise in non-interventional study designs and methodological considerations in the statistical analyses of such research designs
- Strong understanding of the application and limitations of administrative claims data, electronic medical records data, hospital inpatient data, and patient or physician reported survey data
- Ability to independently develop research hypotheses, study protocols, and statistical analysis plans
- Highly motivated self-starter who is able to work independently, deal with complex issues and relate to multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to understand and respond to multiple internal and external customer requests and manage conflict constructively with minimal supervisory support required.
- Working knowledge of customer/payer tool development and value dossiers
- Experience working with and overseeing external contractors and vendors
- Superior presentation skills that drive action and strategy required
- Excellent communication skills, problem solving abilities, and interpersonal skills required
- Statistical programming and project management experience required
- Ability to manage complex projects that could require multiple external vendors
This job description is intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the people assigned to this position. It is not intended to include every job duty and responsibility specific to the position. Otsuka reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Otsuka is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran or disabled status, or any protected status.Qualifications:
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a global healthcare company with the corporate philosophy: “Otsuka-people creating new products for better health worldwide.” Otsuka researches, develops, manufactures and markets innovative products, with a focus on pharmaceutical products to meet unmet medical needs and nutraceutical products for the maintenance of everyday health.
In pharmaceuticals, Otsuka is a leader in the challenging area of mental health and also has research programs on several under-addressed diseases including tuberculosis, a significant global public health issue. These commitments illustrate how Otsuka is a “big venture” company at heart, applying a youthful spirit of creativity in everything it does.
Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company is a subsidiary of Otsuka Holdings Co., Ltd. headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. The Otsuka group of companies employed 45,000 people worldwide and had consolidated sales of approximately USD 11 billion ( 9.9 billion) in 2016.
All Otsuka stories start by taking the road less travelled. Learn more about Otsuka Pharmaceutical Company on its global website at www.otsuka.co.jp/en
. Learn more about Otsuka in the U.S. at www.otsuka-us.com