Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK) satisfies curiosity and engages superfans with a portfolio of premium nonfiction, lifestyle, sports and kids programming brands. Reaching more than 3 billion cumulative viewers across pay-TV and free-to-air platforms in more than 220 countries and territories, Discovery's portfolio includes the global brands Discovery Channel, TLC, Investigation Discovery, Animal Planet, Science and Turbo/Velocity, as well as OWN: Oprah Winfrey Network in the U.S., Discovery Kids in Latin America, and Eurosport, the leading provider of locally relevant, premium sports and Home of the Olympic Games across Europe. Discovery reaches audiences across screens through digital-first programming from digital content holding company Group Nine Media, Discovery VR, over-the-top offerings Eurosport Player and Dplay, as well as TV Everywhere products comprising the GO portfolio of TVE apps and Discovery K!ds Play. For more information, please visit www.discoverycommunications.com.
We are seeking candidates for the position of Manager - Educational Partnerships to be located in San Diego or Los Angeles. Our Team
Discovery is the number-one nonfiction media company, with a reach that encompasses television as well as digital media, retail products and online educational services. Our goal of helping people to explore their world and satisfy their curiosity depends on maintaining a creative and entrepreneurial environment where individual expression, achievement and recognition go hand-in-hand with our business objectives and performance.
Discovery Education is the global leader in standards-based digital content for K-12 classrooms, transforming teaching and learning with award-winning digital textbooks, multimedia content, professional development, assessment tools, and the largest professional learning community of its kind. Discovery Education partners with districts, states and like-minded organizations to captivate students, empower teachers, and transform classrooms with customized solutions that accelerate academic achievement. Discovery Education's services are available not only in half of all U.S. schools, but in half of all English primary schools, numerous institutes of higher learning, and in 50 countries around the world.The Role
The Education Partnerships Manager is responsible for the sales and account management efforts for Discovery Education (DE) in an assigned territory in California. Demonstrate exceptional product and industry knowledge to effectively position DE products and services as must-have educational solutions for classrooms to contacts at varying professional levels. Work with Sales Director and team to achieve annual sales objectives while ensuring profitable growth aligned with DE business objectives.Responsibilities:Account Management/Sales Goals
1. Achieve assigned personal and territory sales objectives.
2. Maintain, share and track customer information on an on-going basis through customer files, Salesforce (CRM tool), shared drives and web 2.0 applications.
3. Use a top-down, consultative sales approach to build, maintain & strengthen relationships with all key decision makers and key influences within territory.
4. Understand goals and objectives for all accounts within assigned territory and have a thorough understanding of where sales opportunities exist (i.e. demographics, education trends, funding, other key external influences).
5. Develop proactive approach to territory management, anticipating impact on DE products resulting from competition, industry trends, etc.
6. Negotiate proposals and contracts that ensure profitable growth aligned with DE business objectives.
7. Demonstrate exceptional interpersonal, written/verbal communication, organizational, follow-up, consultative sales and presentation skills.
8. Demonstrate ability when necessary to have difficult conversations with clients.
9. Travel approximately 60-70% of time (with seasonal variations)
10. Manage high outbound call volume whether traveling or in the office.Product /Industry Knowledge
11. Demonstrate exceptional DE product knowledge to be successful in increasingly competitive environment.
12. Knowledge of California trends and issues.
13. Thoroughly understand deals/rates for all DE products as well as the overall goals and strategic vision of Discovery Education.
14. Maintain an understanding of industry trends, current events, product and technology developments by reading professional publications, researching all available resources prospect/product resources and participating in professional organizations.
15. Understand new technologies and industry trends and be able to speak to how they impact customers and Discovery Education.Team Oriented Environment
16. Partner with company personnel (i.e. VP, Sales Director, DEN Account Manager, Marketing, Account Services, Legal, Finance, etc.) to develop strategies to ensure that personal and territory sales goals are met.
17. Work with team to:
a. ensure proper implementation of new accounts
b. build value with customer by implementing strategies to ensure usage of DE products and services
c. properly merchandise key activities in territory to decision makers
d. Maximize sales opportunities
e. Communicate workload focus to team on a regular basis (daily, weekly, etc)
f. Proactively share information with department that you've learned in the field to support other reps/regions meeting their objectivesFiscal Responsibility
18. Adhere to budget by managing travel, sales and account management expenses.
* Bachelor's degree or an equivalent combination of skills, training and experience.
* Approximately 3-5 years in sales and account management experience with a proven track record of territory management, consultative sales and exceptional client relations.
* Strong interpersonal, presentation, organizational and verbal/written communication skills. Attention to detail and the ability to manage a diverse workload.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced team oriented environment.
* Education industry experience preferred.
* Experience teaching or in school administration preferred.
* Proficiency with Microsoft Office products.
* Candidate must be willing to travel (60-70%).
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States.
Discovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information. EEO is the Law Pay Transparency Policy Statement
If you are an individual with a disability and need an accommodation during the application process, please send an email request to HR@discovery.com.