Posting DetailsPosting Details (Default Section)Posting Number:
Grounds Laborer / HelperPosition Type:
Internal/External ApplicantsWork Schedule:
791-FS - AdministrationPosition Summary:
The Grounds Laborer/Helper works under close supervision, to perform tasks with minimal mechanical equipment requirements and be responsible for landscape maintenance operations, to include all elements of lawn, shrubs and trees, walks and driveways, and other elements of landscape. Under close supervision, also may assist skilled trades and general maintenance personnel with general labor duties.
Villanova is a Catholic university sponsored by the Augustinian order. Diversity and inclusion have been and will continue to be an integral component of Villanova University's mission. The University is an Equal Opportunity/ Affirmative Action employer and seeks candidates who understand, respect and can contribute to the University's mission and values.Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under close supervision performs labor of manual nature, such as moving of equipment and furniture, cleaning of storm drains and curbs, the raking and removal of leaves, and removal of snow and the application of ice control materials.
- Operates basic power tools such as push lawn mowers, power lawn trimmers, edger's, and leaf/trash blowers.
- Under close supervision operates light and medium equipment assigned to Grounds Division.
- Help identifies and corrects problems of plants, grasses, trees, and shrubs.
- Applies fertilizers and weed control materials by hand or push spreader.
- Transports materials and specialty tools to work sites.
- Cleans tools and returns same to proper location; cleans work site.
- Removes snow, including the operation of salt spreaders
- Notifies supervisor of all defects, problem areas, and safety hazards related to grounds/landscape.
- Assists with various tasks as directed by the tradesperson/maintenance person assigned to the project.
- Assists in furniture and event set ups and breakdowns, decorations for special functions, meetings, etc.
- Performs other duties assigned within the normal scope of the department's responsibilities and the individual's capabilities.
- HS diploma or equivalent and be able to exhibit acceptable life experiences in grounds gardening and horticultural work.
- Must have and maintain a valid Pennsylvania driver's license and also meet all requirements of the University Driving Policies.
- Must have the ability to follow both verbal and written directions in English; the ability to interact with students, faculty, administration, and staff in a professional and positive manner, as well as the ability to read and understand OSHA guidelines such as Material Safety Data Sheets, equipment safety data plates, fuel/chemical flash points, etc.
- Must have the physical ability to climb ladders, to bend, reach, crawl, and lift up to 60 lbs; the ability to work in enclosed spaces.
- Must not have any disciplinary actions on file within the previous twelve months of applying for this position.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- All of above, plus landscape maintenance experience. Valid PA drivers license.
Work under adverse weather conditions, including extreme hot and cold. Work will include response to weather conditions at any hour of day or night when notified.Posting Date:
08/27/2018Salary Posting Information:
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents needed to complete your application: Required Documents
- * How did you first hear of this employment opportunity?
- Chronicle Vitae
- Academic Keys
- Professional Affiliation/Trade Website
- Diversity Association/Publication Website
- Other Internet Advertisement
- Advertisement in Local Newspaper
- Advertisement in Academic or Professional Publication
- Referred by a current or former employee
- Referred by a friend or family member
- Heard about it at a conference or career fair
- Browsing the Villanova website
- * If your answer to the above question is "Other", please specify the source below. If this question does not apply to you, enter N/A.
(Open Ended Question)
- Cover Letter / Letter of Interest
- Resume / Curriculum Vitae