Reports to: Property Manager
Supervises: Under the direction of the Property Manager, supervises on-site maintenance staff, which may include Maintenance Technicians, Groundskeepers, Housekeepers, Painters, Make-Ready Technicians.
Wage Status: Hourly (Non Exempt eligible for overtime)
The Maintenance Supervisor must be a hands-on maintenance person. The Maintenance Supervisor must be able to do just about anything that pertains to building maintenance, e.g. plumbing, electrical, painting, heating, air conditions, and appliance repair. This position is also responsible for managing your departments budget, keeping expenses within budgeting guidelines and putting on a thrifty thinking cap to find cost-saving measures that do not compromise quality. Customer service and helping with the cleanliness and marketability of the property tops off the duties as a vital player in the propertys ability to renew and secure new leases.
Each duty must be performed with the focus and accuracy it requires. The essential knowledge, skills and abilities you need are outlined below. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the jobs essential functions.
• Participate in company training classes and meeting, ensure all service staff receives appropriate training as required.
• Organize, prioritize and ensure service requests and repairs are made correctly and in timely manner.
• Inspect grounds, buildings, and other community features daily to minimize liability concerns and ensure excellent curb appeal at all times.
• Oversee turnkey operations; ensure vacant units are made rent-ready in a timely manner.
• Preform turnkey work as required and ensure all make-readies are inspected.
• Adhere to the Standard Operating Procedures.
• Possess basic knowledge of local and state codes for permitting, sign ordinances and pool regulations.
• Adhere to and enforce the companys personnel management policies and procedures.
• Maintain a superior customer service relationship with residents, co-workers, vendors, and the community.
• Communicate effectively with residents, co-workers, vendors, and the community.
• Work with the Property Manager to handle maintenance-related resident problems.
• Assist with recruiting, hiring and training of quality staff, recommend promotions and terminations when necessary.
• Work with Property manager to obtain competitive bids for maintenance-related expenses.
• Understand and adhere to budgeted guidelines.
• Contract use of outside vendors only when necessary.
• Monitor inventory and maintain appropriate levels of parts and supplies.
• Maintain the staffs safety training and MSDS binder.
• Schedule and complete the Preventative Maintenance Program designed per property.
• Other tasks or duties as assigned by supervisor.
• A High School education or equivalent is required; college degree is a plus but not a requirement.
• Ability to fluently read and write English.
• Accurately perform intermediate mathematical functions and use all on-site resident management software functions.
• Four years minimum experience as supervisor in community management maintenance, other building maintenance or related field. Renovation experience may be required for older communities built five or more years ago.
• Ability to work any of the seven days of the week, 52 weeks of the year. Our property staffing limitation makes it critical for you to work your scheduled hours consistently as well as overtime if necessary when requested.
• Ability to serve on-call, as scheduled or as necessary. On-call staff is required to live within a minimum distance to the property for efficient response time.
• Ability to travel to attend various company gatherings either in the general vicinity or your home, property, or in another state.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS
Will be exposed to constant activity that requires intermittent standing, bending, crouching, pushing/pulling, lifting/moving/carrying (light to heavy weight material/appliances/equipment up to 50 pounds for variable distances), climbing ladders/stairs, and walking on rooftops without endangering yourself, residents or co-workers. Requires manual dexterity sufficient to operate small-motorized equipment (i.e., repetitive hand/wrist, griping and elbow motion). Must have normal range of hearing, vision, color discrimination and depth perception for proper operation and repair of machines, wiring, and equipment. Must be able to complete tasks wearing appropriate safety equipment (i.e., back belts, goggles, masks, gloves, etc.).
TYPICAL MENTAL DEMANDS
Must be able to read and write in English at intermediate level to read diagrams, meters, instructions, write reports, etc. Must be able to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions and plans. On a regular basis must use independent judgment (following prescribed procedures) to determine actions to be taken, priorities, emergencies, etc. Must be able to deal with moderate to high levels of stress due to meeting deadlines, re-prioritizing activities and supervising employees. Will interact regularly with residents, vendors, contractors, supervisors, employees and coworkers and therefore, must have excellent interpersonal skills.
Will be exposed on a regular basis to outdoor environment (i.e., heat, cold, damp, rain, etc.). Will also have light to moderate exposure to injuries (i.e., chemicals, electrical, machinery, tools, lifting, etc.). Will be exposed to some low-level noise when using power tools. Hazards can be minimized with proper lifting techniques, MSDS and general safety training and wearing of proper safety equipment.
• Valid drivers license and current automobile insurance is required; position requires own vehicle to fulfill all of jobs functions.
• EPA certification Type I and II.
• Pest Control, if performed in house.
• Other licenses and certification as required by Bainbridge, state or federal law.
• Own set of basic hand tools; tools not provided by property.
• Ability to read, analyze and interpret all forms of information
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to accept and learn from constructive criticism
• Well organized, detail oriented, efficient
• Ability to prioritize and multi-task
• Must be team oriented but able to work independently on occasion
• Strong analytical and problem solving skills
• Strong customer service orientation
• Ability to meet deadlines which may include late hours and weekend as needed
• Ability to follow oral and written instruction
• Ability to lead and motivate a staff
Special skills include ability to diagnose problems with and repair the following:
• Major appliances
• HVAC, with EPS Certification
• Basic to intermediate plumbing, sheet rock, general carpentry
• Basic to intermediate electrical, when no license is required
• Pool care and pest control if required by property
• Roofs and gutters
• Irrigation maintenance and repairs
• Fountain maintenance and repairs
• Foundation/sidewalk repairs
• Ice/snow removal
• Golf carts and small engine maintenance
• Basic computer and Internet knowledge
• Ability to use Outlook
• Ability to operate and understand personal computer functions and company utilized software packages