Integrated DNA TechnologiesID
Engineering# of Openings
2 days agoShift/Schedule
M-F 40 Hour Week (United States of America)Overview
The Senior Research and Development Engineer performs applications research to support the development of next generation high throughput synthetic biology and genomics production equipment. This position will be responsible for identifying and developing critical technologies for application in synthetic biology manufacturing platforms and processes. This role will work alongside Equipment Engineers, Process Engineers and Production Scientist to focus and accelerate the development of next generation synthetic biology manufacturing platforms. This role will be responsible for the evaluation of new components, hardware, laboratory platforms and process chemistries, fundamental characterization, process development, and the generation of intellectual property relevant to the company.ResponsibilitiesEssential Functions:
- Develops and emerges technology for application in high throughput manufacturing of synthetic biology products.
- Identifies disruptive biotechnology processes early on and works with manufacturing and R&D to identify a viable path forward.
- Prioritizes within the Platform Development team on the key technology issues that need development breakthroughs.
- Reviews and analyzes current relevant research in synthetic biology processes, materials, components for application in primary and secondary manufacturing platforms that reduce manufacturing time and costs and improve quality.
- Manages assigned development projects from conception through production and maintenance phases. Promotes effective communication between team members and product customers.
- Mentors fellow engineers in good applied experimental practices.
- Develops detailed development plans and performance targets and verifies development prototypes meet these requirements.
- Leads team or sites or suppliers on complex, multi-disciplinary projects in quality focused meetings, process and yield improvement meetings, cost and productivity improvement meetings.
- Writes accurate proposals, budgets, test plans, schedules and ongoing status reports for assigned projects.
- Conducts and participates in periodic project reviews to report project progress and technical developments. Identifies and mitigates technical risks.
- Uses analysis simulation tools and CAD tools to design and develop experimental products.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to effectively communicate complex ideas to various organizational audiences with an appropriate level of detail to achieve the desired results.
- Demonstrates behavior consistent with the Integrated DNA Technologies Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Master's or Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar field required. A Master of Science degree is preferred.
Other Job Qualifications
- A minimum of five or more years direct experience leading applied research and highly technical development projects; with a proven track record of successful project completions required.
- Ten or more years applied technical development experience and a proven track record of successful project completion preferred
- Formal and/or applied training and work experience in deployment of new product development and release to production preferred.
- Adept with Microsoft Office applications; MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio required.
- Proficient with CAD software and other modern engineering design and analysis applications.
- Demonstrable analytical skills required. Programming skills (C++, Python, or other engineering languages) desired.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required to effectively communicate complex ideas to various organizational audiences with an appropriate level of detail to achieve the desired results.
- Highly organized with the ability to work on multiple projects concurrently.
- Highly motivated, goal oriented and possess the ability to aggressively focus on solving problems both as part of a team and individually.
- Excellent skills on design of experiments (DoE), data analysis systems (e.g. JMP) and ability to analyze, conclude and communicate the recommendations in clear and crisp manner.
- Ability to interact in a professional manner with suppliers, customers, employees, and all levels of management.
- Ability to be flexible in accommodating changing priorities and working hours to support business needs.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications; MS word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio.
- Programming skills (C++, Python, or other engineering languages) preferred.
- Adaptability to performing a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Ability to maintain both a high standard of courtesy and cooperation in dealing with co-workers.
- Adaptability to accepting responsibility for the direction, control or planning of an activity.
- Adaptability to situations requiring the precise attainment of set limits, tolerances or standards.
Exert 20-50 lbs. of force occasionally and/or 10-15 lbs. of force frequentlyConstant (67%-100% of work day)
Frequent (34-66% of work day)
- Talking: expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken work- those activities in which they must convey detailed or important spoken instructions to other workers accurately, loudly, or quickly.
Occasional (33% or less of work day)
- Reaching: extending hand(s) and arm(s) in any direction.
- Sitting: to assume a position in which the weight is largely supported by the buttocks, usually with the body vertical and the thighs horizontal.
- Standing: maintaining an upright position.
- Walking: moving about on foot to accomplish tasks.
- Lifting: raising objects from a lower to a higher position or moving objects horizontally from position to position.
- Using Fingers/Grasping/Feeling: writing or otherwise working, primarily with fingers rather than with the whole hand or arm as in handling. Applying pressure to an object with the fingers or palm and perceiving attributes of objects such as size, shape, temperature or texture by touch.
- Hearing: perceiving the nature of sounds at normal range; ability to receive detailed information through oral communication, and to make fine discriminations in sound, such as when auscultating and percussing.
- Repetitive Motion: substantial movements (motion) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers.
- Bending: bending body downward and forward by bending spine at the waist and/or bending leg; bending legs at knee to come to rest or kneel.
- Pushing/Pulling: using upper extremities to press against something with steady force in order to thrust forward, downward or outward/using upper extremities to exert force in order to drag, haul or tug objects in a sustained motion.
- Climbing: stairs, stools, ramps, ladders.
Integrated DNA Technologies is an equal employment and affirmative action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.