The mission of the Upper Manhattan Empowerment Zone Development Corporation (UMEZ) is to sustain the economic revitalization of all communities in Upper Manhattan through job creation, corporate alliances, strategic investments and small business investments. UMEZ facilitates economic development in the neighborhoods of Central, East and West Harlem, Washington Heights; and Inwood.
UMEZ is an independent not-for-profit corporation created in 1995 and has invested $250 million in the Upper Manhattan community, leveraging over 1.1 billion in private capital, and has funded 100 small businesses.
UMEZ is a recognized Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) with over $80 million in assets. UMEZ is proud to be certified by the U.S. Department of the Treasury’s CDFI Fund as a part of a national network promoting economic growth by financing businesses, creating jobs, and rebuilding neighborhoods.
Job Title: Chief Investment Officer
Reports to: President & Chief Executive Officer
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: The Chief Investment Officer (CIO) provides leadership and management of UMEZ’s loan origination, new financing products, investments, and capital management strategies. With the President and CEO, this role will also be responsible for growing UMEZ’s capital under management. The CIO is a member of the Leadership Team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Include the following and other duties may be assigned:
• Provide leadership in structuring, negotiating and closing of loans and investments and oversight of credit policies
• Identify market opportunities and develop new financing strategies in furtherance of UMEZ’s mission
• Provide CEO and CFO with strategies and information to enhance revenues and achieve short and long-term financial goals and sustainability
• Oversee, train and assist junior staff with investment proposals, financial statement analysis, financial modeling, due diligence
• Together with the President and CEO, grow UMEZ’s capitalization under management
• Manage and grow (as appropriate) the Lending and Investments team
• Lead new opportunities in CDFI programs, new originations, and portfolio management
• Undergraduate degree in business or a related field; MBA preferred
• 7-10 years of work experience in investment banking or commercial lending experience
• 3-5 years supervisor or managerial capacity required
• Strong knowledge and experience with lending and investment underwriting together with an understanding of community development finance
• Strong credit risk analysis and formal credit training required
• Demonstrated ability to manage and work in teams and interacting constructively with diverse constituents; must be able to engage in a tactful manner with colleagues, clients, and applicants
• Experience working with a Community Development Financial Institution
• Strong interpersonal, written and oral communications skills and excellent attention to detail
• Community residence and /or familiarity with Upper Manhattan community preferred
• Bi-Lingual, English and Spanish, a plus but not necessary