Location: Broomfield, CO USA
Duration: Full-time Regular
# of Openings: 1
Req #: 3056Description
Reporting to the Vice President, Legal & Corporate Secretary, the In-House Counsel will provide legal advice and counsel to project teams in furtherance of the Company's business (or the Company's affiliates that are managed by the Company), including transactional and operational matters, and will work with field personnel to manage legal issues. This is a growth opportunity for a junior or mid-level attorney with experience in the construction industry (engineering, architecture, and other related heavy industry experience is also beneficial).Responsibilities
- Draft and negotiate construction related contracts, including:
- Joint Venture Agreements
- Design Teaming Agreements for design/build projects
- Subcontract Agreements
- Purchase Orders
- Service Agreements
- Non-disclosure Agreements
- Notice Letters
- Change Orders
- Legal research and drafting of memos for bid due diligence and operational matters.
- Assist with the review of large project contract documents, identify and analyze legal risks related to these projects and report on legal risk in order to mitigate risks involved in potential transactions This position will play an integral role in Flatiron's Bid Review Committee process, preparing legal analysis to guide the members of the bid review committee, including senior counsel and corporate leadership.
- Provide input on the decision whether to send matters to outside counsel and assist in the oversight of outside counsel as necessary.
- Assist with preparing contract guides for project teams, summarizing key components of project contracts for use by non-legal operational staff. Clear written communication and effective interaction with a variety of operational roles will be critical, as will the ability to establish rapport and credibility with stakeholders across the company.
- Request for Proposal (RFP), review submission requirements and forms.
- Update company contract templates.
- Quickly build an understanding of the business to provide relevant, timely counsel to operational teams on a variety of topics.
- Develop, strengthen and sustain productive and collaborative working relationship with personnel at all levels to encourage and continue the proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Establish and ensure compliance with contract management procedures.
- Provide ongoing support to project site teams for the legal review of subcontracts, purchase order agreements, and service agreements.
- Provide training to project site teams regarding legal risk management.
- Assist operations personnel with developing a greater understanding of essential contract and legal matters that are critical to effective risk management. Increase the level of legal sophistication on the operational side of the company.
- Assist senior counsel on certain sensitive matters as needed.
- Juris Doctorate Degree required.
- Minimum of 4+ years of relevant post-bar professional experience required.
- In-house corporate experience preferred.
- Admitted to practice in the one or more of the following states: CO, CA, NC, NY, TX, WA.
- Prior work experience within large scale/non-residential construction industry strongly preferred. Experience in related industries such as mining and oil and gas will also be considered.
- Experience on large scale design/build and PPP (P3) transactions is beneficial but not necessary.
- Demonstrated (exceptional) capabilities in the following areas:
- Communication and Drafting skills - oral, written, presentation
- Analytical and problem solving
- Computer and software systems (Microsoft office, etc)
- Strong track record of:
- High integrity
- Results driven
- Commitment to continuous process improvement
- Ability to work independently and apply good judgment in ambiguous situations
- Ability to discern between changing priorities and adjust work as needed
- Prior experience successfully operating in a fast paced, fluid, "build-it" environment.
- Flexibility to travel when required.
- Team player and self-starter.
Some of the benefits you can expect as a Flatiron employee are:
- Comprehensive compensation package and paid time off program
- Industry leading 401(k)/RRSP
- Medical/Extended Health Care, Dental, Vison and/or Provincial Medical
- Wellness benefits & Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Flatiron is an EEO/AA/ADA/Veterans employer.