Epsilon Systems Partners, Inc. is seeking a full-time Engineering Technician III (Inside Machinist) in San Diego, CA.
Summary: The position will provide maintenance, repair and technical support to the customer. Operate and maintain a variety of inside machines shop equipment. Use technical documents (JFMM, Instructions, NSTM's, Military standards, Test memos, Test Standards, Drawings and Technical Manuals) that contain information required to accomplish work.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Machines, fabricates, refurbishes, and completes mechanical repair and testing in the shop and onboard ships.
- Performs machine repairs, manufactures, removals, repairs, overhauls, installations, alignments, troubleshoots, modifies, and tests on various ships components.
- Works with minimum supervision and make independent judgments and decisions within the framework of oral and written instructions and accepted trade practices, processes and procedures while accomplishing assignments.
- Determines speeds and feeds, coolants, lubricants or abrasives to be used to cut, turn, drill, mill, bore, tap, thread, ream, lap, hone, shape, and grind or finish item.
- Machines materials such as Stainless steels 300/400 series, Monel, K-Monel, copper, brass, nylon, Teflon, 6061-T6 Aluminum, 4140, 4130, various plastics.
- Reads, interprets, understands and works to the requirements of blueprints, sketches, work orders, geometric tolerances, blueprints notes.
- Uses shop mathematics including trigonometry and geometry and hold tolerances .0001 of an inch.
- Maintains dimensional accuracy by inspection of part using various precision measuring instruments, including, but not limited to, sine plates, comparator, micrometers, calipers, v-blocks, angle plates, indicators, dial height gage, go/no-go gages, thread gages, surface gages and other measuring tools.
- Utilizes lathe turning tools, boring bars, inner diameter (ID) groovers, outer diameter (OD) groovers, part off tools, facing tools, special tools, knurling tools.
- Sets up and operates conventional machine tools, including horizontal lathes, vertical turret lathes, horizontal boring machines, radial arm drills, vertical and horizontal milling machines, bench grinders, ID and OD grinders, surface grinders, jig boring machines, hones, and other manual machine tools as required.
- Sharpens drills and reamers using drill sharpeners, and high speed and carbide cutting tools such as turning tools, threading, boring bars, endmills, taps and mill cutters using tool grinding machines including carbide grinders and pedestal grinders.
- Sets up and operates saws, cut off saws, abrasive cut off saws, sheet metal brake, hydraulic press, hand press, parts tumbler, belt sanders, and heat treating and hardening ovens.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of 2 years of work experience performing inside machine shop operations
- Sound interpersonal skills needed to interface, coordinate with company personnel, customers, and outside contacts
- Ability to pass PQS 301 Craftsmen qualifications
- Ability to read schematics and blue prints
- Ability to read technical manuals and repair standards
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow detailed written instructions, MRC cards or drawings
- Ability to obtain and maintain a sceret security clearance
- Ability to setup and operate single and multiple spindle CNC lathes.
- Ability to set hard jaws and cut soft jaws to hold outside and inside diameters.
- Ability to touch off tools using tool eye and manual touch off using tool offset, wear and work offsets.
- Ability to use turning tools boring bars, insert drills, reamers, inside groovers, outside groovers, part off tools, and threading tools.
- Ability to use tool offsets, work offsets on CNC machining centers and CNC lathes.
- Knowledge of the difference between grades of inserts and radius of inserts.
- Experience operating water jet cutting machines.
- Requires walking, reaching, sitting and concentration in the presence of occasional noise
- Ability to move in narrow and restricted passageways, up/down steep and narrow ladders or stairways, and up and down antenna masts/yardarms (onboard ships)
- Ability to lift, carry and move objects up to 50 lbs in weight
- Office, warehouse, laboratory, pier side, shipboard
- Noise conditions range from very quiet to loud
Epsilon Systems Partners and its subsidiaries are proud to be Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employers, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veterans.