Medical Science LiaisonOverview
Our client is a clinical-stage pharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of novel first in-class drugs directed against nuclear transport targets for the treatment of cancer and other major diseases.ResponsibilitiesPosition Summary:
The Senior Director, MSLs/Team Lead will be responsible for integrating scientific expertise and product knowledge to ensure successful implementation of the Company's marketed and emerging product portfolio. This position will be directly accountable for collaboration between the Company and national and regional thought leaders within a defined, abbreviated servicing territory. Additionally, this position will be responsible for managing and leading a team of experienced Medical Science Liaisons. Responsible for cultivating, implementing and managing scientific expertise and knowledge with brand strategies to ensure successful communication, education and implementation the Company's marketed and emerging product portfolio. MSL Territory Management Requirements (in an abbreviated territory):
Team Management Requirements:
- Identify key national and regional oncology thought leaders and priority customers, build and maintain advocacy with these individuals, and function as their primary scientific contact with Company.
- Assist in the identification, evaluation and engagement of potential investigators for Company clinical trials.
- Assist the clinical trials team, as needed, in the ongoing support and communication with investigators on Company corporate trials.
- Identify, initiate, coordinate, evaluate and monitor investigator-sponsored studies intended to support the clinical and scientific strategy of Company products.
- Help develop and manage to timelines publication plans of investigator-sponsored studies. Participate in the collection and exchange of scientific/technical information important to Companies development efforts (serve as a field-based extension of the in-house clinical team).
- Education of priority customers on research and development projects.
- Develop key advocates as speakers to support Company products and strategies.
- Assist in the development of, and participate in, regional advisory boards and medical education programs.
- Represent Company at major oncology meetings and conferences
- Maintain clinical and technical expertise in the area of oncology through review of the scientific literature and attendance at key scientific meetings.
ADDITIONAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:Serves as a mentor for Medical Science Liaisons and includes:
- Lead, manage, mentor and provide continuous strategic and tactical vision, guidance and training to a group of highly qualified medical professionals throughout Europe
- Facilitate scientific development of marketed and pipeline compounds at research centers and secure our presence in the related therapeutic areas.
- Contributor in cross-functional setting in close alignment with the Company's Medical Affairs and Commercial groups
- Contribute to the process for setting the vision and developing the MSL's business plan covering policies and operating procedures and expectations for the group.
- Other Duties as assigned
Serves as role model to team members:
- Interviewing prospective candidates and providing feedback.
- Participates in training and on-boarding of new hires.
- Provides technical expertise to other members of the organization.
Leads assigned projects within the MSL organization:
- Takes initiative and perform tasks in a self-directed manner.
- Demonstrates professional behavior when interacting with Health Care Professionals and internal colleagues.
- Enhances cohesiveness among MSL team members - providing a respectful, inclusive environment.
- Proactively offers ideas and solutions to enhance the productivity of the Medical Science Liaison Team.
- Adheres to the Company Code of Business Conduct & Ethics.
- Spearheads strategic initiatives within the MSL organization in collaboration with Directors.
- Delivers updates and presentations to Medical Affairs senior management.
- Develops best practices for the MSL team.
- Delivers scientific/clinical presentations at advisory boards, consultant meeting, and/or facilitation of breakout sessions.
- Delivers scientific/clinical presentations to payer groups and other managed market customers.
- Represents MSL team on select clinical/medical study teams.
- A minimum of 3 - 5 years previous MSL experience in the therapeutic area of interest required.
- Advanced degree in medical science (MD, PharmD, or PhD) is strongly preferred. Candidates without an advanced degree are required to have at least 7 years of industry MSL experience in the therapeutic area, and 8 - 12 years overall related experience.
- Patient care clinical experience in the therapeutic area (including sub-specialty) preferred.
- Leadership experience (with direct reports or as an individual contributor) is a preferable trait.
- Strong project leadership and management history required.
- Ability to efficiently manage time and priorities.
- Strong leadership skills and the ability to compile and disseminate information to others in a cohesive fashion to assure a clear understanding of project status and direction.
- Solid understanding of drug development and life-cycle development of a product.
- Ability to cultivate and maintain relationships with thought leaders and to establish trust through the consistent demonstration of scientific expertise and satisfactory follow-through to requests from thought-leaders; the ability to work effectively with key decision makers, both within and outside the Company.
- Excellent communicator, skilled at diplomacy and capable of effectively combining science and relationship building.
- Ability to understand and translate external customer and/or internal client needs into effective decisions and to drive results and strive for continuous improvement with high performance in the face of adversity a must.
- Willingness to travel extensively.