Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds. Please see the Tufts University non-discrimination statement.Job DescriptionResearch Scientist II - Allen Discovery Center, Department of Biology - 19001232Description This position is for a limited 1 year term with an opportunity to renew at the end of first term.
The Allen Discovery Center (see http://allencenter.tufts.edu/) is dedicated to the advancement of basic biology and biomedicine, using an integrated, multi-disciplinary approach to control biological structure and function. Through a combination of molecular genetics, biophysics, and computational approaches, researchers at the Center work toward a multi-level control of patterning and biological computation. Novel technology and theory is being developed to modulate the bioelectric communication that enables cells to coordinate their activities toward specific anatomical and functional end-states. This new type of epigenetic control has significant implications for developmental biology, evolution, unconventional computation, synthetic bioengineering, and primitive cognition. Applications in progress include the repair of birth defects, regenerative medicine, cancer reprogramming, and synthetic biology.
A Research Scientist in the Center drives a research program that directly contributes to the Center mission.
Working independently, but in close consultation and in cooperation with the Director and the Deputy Director of the Allen Discovery Center at Tufts University, this individual must be able to:
- Perform routine and complex laboratory procedures
- Develop, adapt, and implement new research techniques and protocols
- Design and perform experiments that advance priority areas of research in the Center
- Analyze, interpret, summarize, and compile data, for overview by Center Director/Deputy Director and for submission to funders
- Develop grant proposals and secure grant funding from the government or other peer-reviewed sources, either independently or with collaborators, in close collaboration with the Director/Deputy Director of the Center
- Participate in contributing data to publications and presentations as co-author
- Attend/present results at scientific conferences and other key events
- Plan and oversee the activities of more junior members (technicians, students, post-docs) who are working under the Research Scientist (size of sub-team TBD depending on particular project and agreed-upon strategy)
- Act as a mentor, including providing research guidance to undergraduate/graduate students, postdoctoral scholars, and less experienced scientists at the Center
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.
- A PhD and at least three years of post-doctoral training is required for this position.
- In addition, the individual must have demonstrated that he/she is able to make significant contributions to related scientific research and scholarship (publication in good journals), have strong potential to direct his/her own research, have demonstrated experience with effective mentoring of junior personnel toward specific project goals, and have a strong track record of timely completion of project milestones.
- He/she will be expected to publish regular, significant contributions in peer-reviewed journals.
Biology - A&SEmployee Status:
Mar 19, 2019, 9:44:02 AM