Lutron Electronics Company, Inc.
Lutron Electronics is an Equal Opportunity - Affirmative Action - Employer. We welcome qualified, motivated applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or geneticsMechanical Design EngineerAustin, TXJob Description
Mechanical Design Engineer - Austin
At Ketra, we are transforming the way we experience light. We believe that the light we live under as we work, play, and sleep should be natural. From our home base in Austin, Texas, we are building the most advanced technology for beautiful light – from the proprietary semiconductor in each light to a complete re-imagining of the user experience. The lighting industry is changing, and we are leading the charge.
Ketra has an immediate opening for an entry level Mechanical Design Engineer in Austin, TX. In this position, you would be a key part of the Engineering development team, developing innovative mechanical designs for LED based lighting systems.
You will have the opportunity to join a dynamic group—learning from experiences and from one another; we are always seeking to discover new technologies, design techniques, materials technology, and aesthetic design. The products and systems you develop are destined for use in the most cutting edge residential and commercial environments.
Our engineers contribute to all phases of the product life cycle from initial concept and prototype to supporting production. The broad scope of opportunities at Ketra allow the curious and hard-working to succeed. We are looking for candidates that have a commitment to learning and developing their own skill set. Ideal candidates are positive self-starters that are open to sharing ideas to contribute to the improvement of the entire team.
This role reports to the Director of Mechanical Engineering
- Develop component and assembly concepts. Identify cost reduction and product improvement opportunities
- Create 3D models of new mechanical components and assemblies
- Perform testing to understand and explore the performance of designs
- Design and develop small tools and fixtures
- Work with other engineers to ensure that thorough engineering analyses have been completed and risks to cost, quality and delivery have been identified.
- Source prototype components using our 3D printers, internal and external machine shops, and nearby vendors. Drive rapid iteration and convergence of designs
- Assemble functional and aesthetically accurate prototypes for review
- Proactively share your work and gather feedback for alternatives and improvements
- Rapidly iterate through the design process to arrive at a solutions that meets cost, quality and delivery objectives while meeting key product specifications
- Collaborate with team members across the organization to complete your assignments
- Troubleshoot manufacturing and customer issues
- BS in Mechanical Engineering, with at least a 3.0 GPA (or equivalent)
- Strong fundamental understanding of 3D modeling software and rapid prototyping techniques; injection molding experience is a plus
- Thorough knowledge of mechanical engineering fundamentals (beam bending, static analysis, material properties, heat transfer, etc.)
- Familiarity with part manufacturing processes such as plastic injection molding, die casting, and sheet metal fabrication.
- Enjoys working collaboratively while also thriving in a leadership position
- Excellent communication skills with all departments and disciplines
- Ability to take direction from others while also being able to work independently
- Skillful at solving problems with enthusiasm and creativity
- Self-starting, inquisitive, flexible, multi-tasking
- Driven to maintain high standards of quality, even under pressure
- Willingness to travel – visit and troubleshoot job sites, oversee manufacturing at other facilities, take offsite training courses, accompany a salesperson to showcase your new product to a customer
Lutron offers a competitive compensation and benefits package and a dynamic and professional work environment. We also offer continued growth through increased job responsibilities, courses offered through Lutron University and advancement opportunities. For more information, view our website atwww.lutron.com. EOE/AA.