Marketing/Communications . Portland, Oregon
Who You Are...
You are an ambitious media strategist, able to see multiple story angles and uses, within a single piece of content, your social media expertise to connect with influencers to amplify coverage across channels. You will play a key role on the NWEA marketing team and will lead proactive and reactive media relations, collaborate closely with Communications, Policy & Advocacy, and Product Marketing colleagues to ensure that NWEA is top of mind for leading education commentators, trades, and national editors. This role reports to the Director of Corporate Communications and Brand Strategy.
Your Next Challenge...
- Define strategy for media engagement and calendar of activities
- Develop and execute integrated media plans which generate awareness and buzz through multiple channels
- Provide leadership in key message development and ensuring messaging adheres to strategic themes across channels
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with members of the print, broadcast and online media including education trade, consumer, and select local media in key communities
- Manage external relationships and scope of work for PR agency and other resources to deliver results
- Serve as frontline media spokesperson and provide media training and guidance to staff as needed
- Actively monitor and distribute relevant press coverage to relevant stakeholders
- Partner closely with Marketing and Partner Accounts stakeholders to use media strategically in target states
- Write and edit key communication pieces that serve to promote NWEA, its executives and offerings
- Research topics and write articles positioning organizational leaders as industry experts
- Identify award opportunities for the organization and prepare nomination
- Coordinate coverage and news posting and sharing through NWEA web properties and social media channels
Traits for Success...
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; experienced spokesperson also able to train senior execs for same
- Able to analyze complex information and provide context, as well as monitor trends, conversations and news relevant to the business
- Proactive storyteller with strong pitching skills
- Social media-savvy and an ability to understand how to tell stories across multiple channels desired
- Strong project management and time management skills; highly organized and able to meet tight deadlines
- Experience with media analytics tools (e.g. TrendKite) desired
Your Education and Experience...
- Bachelor's degree in related field; equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered in lieu of a degree
- 5+ years of PR experience in K12 education press relations with proven success in generating quantity and quality coverage and buzz
- Maintains personal relationships with key trade, consumer, tech journalists and/or influencers
- Expertise spans digital, traditional and social media channels
- Experience in K12 education market strongly desired; experience in K12 assessment a plus
What You'll Get...
NWEA Total Rewards
At NWEA, working for a mission driven, not-for-profit also means working for a company that cares about your health and well-being. Our NWEA Total Rewards package includes competitive compensation along with the following benefits:
Health and Wellness Benefits
Medical, dental, vision, and prescription insurance premiums are paid at 100% for eligible employees. NWEA also pays 25% of the dependent premium cost. Wellness incentives (reduced medical premiums) are available for those who participate in our annual incentive program.
To make sure you have a variety of wellness options, our onsite employees have access to:
- Subsidized massage services
- Fitness center
- Lan Su Chinese Garden Annual Pass
- Benefit fairs
- Lunch & Learns
Paid Time Off (PTO)
Regular full-time employees are eligible to accrue 4 weeks paid time off during the first year of employment, 5 weeks after the first year, and 6 weeks after the second year and all years thereafter. Additionally, employees receive 9 paid holidays per year.
Eligible employees receive an additional $400 ($200 for part-time employees) per month (reported and taxed as salary), which is used to offset premium costs or items not currently covered.
Group and Supplemental Retirement Plans
NWEA contributes 15% of eligible employee's base salary to a defined-contribution 403(b) retirement saving plans. Additionally, eligible employees are auto-enrolled at 3% with the option to opt-out or change the election amount up to the federal maximum per year to a 403(b) retirement saving plans.
Section 125 Flexible Spending (FSA) and Health Savings (HSA) Accounts
Eligible employees may set aside money on a pre-tax basis to pay for out-of-pocket medical expenses or dependent/elder care-as well as parking/transit expenses.
Life insurance and AD&D insurance
Employees receive policies equal to 1 times annual salary for life and AD&D insurance. These premiums are 100% employer-paid.
Career Development & Education Program
NWEA will reimburse up to $1,500 per fiscal year for full-time employees and up to $750 for part-time employees. College coursework, certifications, and tests from appropriate institutions or organizations qualify under this program.
Benefits for staff members also include localized perks, such as:
- Free onsite parking
- Mass transit passes
- Various retailer discounts
It's not just a job, but a career, with an opportunity to do the best work of your life and to make a difference in the lives of kids.