McGraw-Hill Education is committed to celebrating and supporting the differences that make us each unique and will not discriminate based on a person's gender, gender identity or expression, nationality, color, race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, disability, appearance or veteran status. We are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, and we will also provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.Req ID:
Santa Monica, CA US
Come join our growing Digital Platform Group (DPG) with McGraw-Hill. You'll create innovative, digital learning solutions in an environment that feels like a startup but has the foundation of a successful EdTech company. Contributing to this group means you'll utilize state-of-the-art technologies to deliver intuitive learning experiences. We build data-driven digital products that are used by millions of students around the globe. As both our business and the EdTech space quickly evolve, we need hard-working, passionate people to be a part of our dynamic team.
Software engineers are part of energized, agile teams and work closely with product team members to identify requirements, formulate elegant and scalable software designs, develop high-quality software solutions, and work with Quality Engineering and Site Reliability engineering teams to test and promote code from test environments into production. They will work with other engineering teams throughout the Digital Platform Group (DPG) to develop user experiences that will shape the future of education technology. Your contribution to the team includes:
• Work with engineering leadership to identify, develop and execute upon opportunities for process and strategic improvements.
• Participate in MHE-wide initiatives to bring consistency to the company's software development efforts.
• Ensure focus on Engineering architecture, design, and technical improvements across teams.
• Engages in research that leads to the development of innovative products and services.
• Explores and creates service designs that improve capability, functionality, and time to market with maximum quality.
• Drive a project forward with other engineers in DPG and ensure they maintain quality standards and continue to expand automation coverage.
• Mentor to new or less seasoned Software Engineers in development practice.
• Take input from multiple sources such as: team members, peers, industry trends, customers, business needs, user experience group, and customer support to define technical boundaries and design scalable / sustainable platform services that serve the needs of multiple products, platforms, and/or customers.
• Develops a strategy for delivery product and device level optimizations on top of core services which encourage product agility and improves time to market.
• Stay current on industry trends and standards; conceive and present to senior management and peers ways to improve current practices to stay competitive in the marketplace and on the cutting edge while maintaining strict quality standards.What you'll need to be successful:
• Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience in software engineering or related field.
• 5+ years experience as a Software Engineer or similar software development role.
• 3+ years experience working at a high level in such languages at PHP, Java, or Go.
• Strong knowledge of Object Oriented Analysis & Design (OOAD), Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) principles, design patterns, application and enterprise integration architectures.
• Development and Integration experience with Messaging, RESTful Services.
• Basic Unix skills (SSH/tunneling, navigating Unix environment, SCP/SFTP to transfer files).
• Familiarity with source control tools like Git, and continuous integration tools like Jenkins.
• Ability to research and solve problems on his/her own using Google, newsgroups, vendor support and other external resources.
• Understanding of the following client side technologies/frameworks: AngularJS, JQuery, Twitter Bootstrap, HTML/HTML5, CSS, SASS, LESS.
• Experience with bug tracking systems, like Quality Center and JIRA.
• Experience implementing software systems for applications developed with cloud technologies (AWS).
An Evergreen posting is a campaign for future opportunities with McGraw-Hill. We are currently sourcing talent to build a pipeline of qualified, interested individuals for this job function. By applying to this Evergreen posting, you are expressing your interest in this job function with McGraw-Hill.