Envistacom is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Envistacom provides equal employment opportunity for all persons, in all facets of employment and maintains a drug free workplace and performs pre-employment substance abuse testing and background checks. We encourage minorities, women, veterans, LGBT and disabled individuals to apply.
Please - no recruiters or staffing agencies
Envistacom is a privately held technology company that provides counterterrorism, cybersecurity and communication solutions to the U.S. aerospace, defense and intelligence communities. Customers rely on us to improve the performance of their communication networks and mission-critical systems, so they can use them and the data they carry to identify and defeat global threats.SENIOR TECHNICAL WRITERRESPONSIBILITIES:
• Creates, develops, plans, writes and edits complex operational, instructional, interactive electronic technical manuals (IETMs), modification work orders (MWOs), maintenance or test procedures for paper, multimedia, or web-based publication.
• Plans, organizes and coordinates writing assignments amongst team members.
• Writes technical materials, reports, operation and maintenance manuals, detailed technical procedures, and other publications for government and private sector clients targeted to an array of audiences.
• Gathers, analyzes and translates scientific and technical information.
• Organizes material and completes writing assignment according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, terminology, correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
• Applies journalistic interviewing techniques to develop content for written materials.
• Edits written material and assists in layout process by suggesting charts, illustrations, photographs, drawings, sketches, and diagrams that best illustrate the material.
• Reviews, edits, or re-writes material prepared by other writers.
• Maintains content development research records, reports, and files.
• Recommends and develops stylebooks and recommendations for standard protocols for materials.
• Participates in content and materials development presentations and training.
• Provides value-based services, customer satisfaction, and timely delivery of services.
• Participates in company-wide business development, and marketing activities.
• Coordinates technical document activity with; Training and Documentation Manager, Program Managers, Logistics Program Managers, Logistics Analysts, and Engineers.
• Conducts interviews with various users and technical staff to gather data for documentation.
• Researches and translates technical information into technical and training manuals and/or web-based documents for non-technical and technical users.
• Acquires subject knowledge by interviewing product developers, observing performance of production methods, referring to technical specifications, blueprints, engineering illustrations, and trade journals.
• Recommends formats; responsive to technical documentation and customer requirements.
• Produces products that conform to the company documentation and quality assurance standards.
• Provides recommendations and ideas to the technical documentation team, project leads, management and the customer on best work practices, workflow, presentation, structure and organization of materials by developing new work processes and methods using existing authoring tools, new authoring tools and third-party plug-ins to improve work process efficiency and overall quality of customer deliverables.
• Supports CMMI efforts by defining methods and procedures on new assignments.
• Documents engineering processes and specifications by editing software developer and engineering staff's notes and procedures and apply formatting to support the writing and publication of hardware and software test procedures, white papers, readme files, etc.
• Proactively informs management team and project leads to report project status, issues or concerns, including issues of scope, schedule.
• Ensures the accurate preparation of documents for interim and final delivery to customer by creating and preparing materials (agendas, etc.) to facilitate various validations and verifications of manuals with the customer.
• Minimum physical requirements to perform all duties and responsibilities as defined by management.
• Punctuality to work each day and prepared to work scheduled work hours along with other duties as required thru the program to meet the deliverable due dates.KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
• 15 years or more experience creating commercial and MIL-STD technical documentation.
• Strong familiarity with the ADDIE model for developing technical documentation.
• Strong ability to research and interpret data.
• Strong working knowledge of DoD MIL Standards and style guides, and the ability to adhere to and implement such standards to create technical documentation.
• Considered as an expert in several areas of their job (i.e. DoD MIL and Commercial standards for page-based and IETMs, Documentation preparation, etc.).
• Strong proficiency with editing and production tools (i.e. Adobe unstructured and structured FrameMaker, MS Suite, Adobe Suite to include Adobe Illustrator and Adobe Photoshop).
• Working knowledge of XML editing and publishing systems a plus.
• Strong team and people skills.
• Strong time management and organizational skills.
• Strong customer interface skills and sensitivity to customer satisfaction.
• Strong communications skills with teammates, direct management, program management, engineering/technical staff.
• Excellent design skills with an appreciation for graphics and formatting as well as illustration skills.PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor's degree in Technical Writing, English, or in a related area is required, Master's degree is a plus, minimum of 15 years or more of relevant experience and knowledge of MIL - STD and Commercial documentation development and editingCLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS:
Department of Defense security clearance is not required at time of hire. However, should it become necessary, applicants selected may be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.Benefits:
Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k+match