Reviews charged off accounts and places them for internal or external recovery collection efforts. Efforts will include, but not be limited to extensive telephone, written and person to person communication with and collection of past due, overdrawn and legal reserve cases. Manages relationship with 3rd Party Agencies. Responsible for determining post judgment remedies, monitoring and renewing garnishments, as well as case management of on book accounts requiring legal intervention. Works closely with Legal Assistants and provides a range of legal support to University of Iowa Community Credit Union Vice President/Chief Legal Counsel with the focus on legal matters concerning consumer credit.
Pay range for this hourly position is $22.70-$34.05 with a progressive benefits package.Responsibilities
Performs essential duties and responsibilities in the following areas which may include, but are not limited to those listed and are subject to change:
- Adheres to the Credit Union's core values in serving with truth, trust, mentoring, openness, risk-taking, giving credit, integrity, caring and respect in carrying out the UICCU's mission and vision.
- Demonstrates a positive member service (internal and external) focus at all times.
- Demonstrates teamwork in all interactions with coworkers and in the completion of all duties and responsibilities.
- Ensures confidentiality of member information.
- Makes collection contacts to legal and/or recovery accounts and performs any tasks or duties in order to aid in collection of past due or overdrawn accounts.
- Performs legal, factual, and records research as well as extensive skip tracing.
- Organizes, analyzes, cross-checks, and validates information for litigation accounts.
- Assists in the preparation of legal arguments, applications, declarations, and motions.
- Prepares legal correspondence.
- Makes decisions on and possesses the approval authority to negotiate settlements within delegated operational areas and manages post charge-off recovery.
- Proofreads and edits legal forms and documents for accuracy.
- Builds, organizes, and maintains legal databases and case files.
- Reviews and monitors new and updated laws and regulations.
- Coordinates law office activities such as subpoena delivery.
- Plays a vital role in enriching the community by participating in community service organizations and/or Credit Union sponsored events on an annual basis.
- Performs any other duties as may be required to meet Credit Union objectives.
- Two to three years of collections and legal experience with reasonable knowledge of collection practices, consumer credit, real estate and bankruptcy laws and regulations.
- A two year college degree or completion of a specialized course in paralegal studies.
- Working knowledge of legal principles, practices, terminology, and research techniques.
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills along with attention to detail and accuracy.
- Reports to work punctually, works all scheduled hours, and works overtime as necessitated by business demand. Job will require a non-traditional workweek with extra hours including evening and/or weekend duties.
- Strong interpersonal and persuasive skills to represent the Credit Union in a positive way during periods of stressful member contact and gather data from a number of sources.
- Ability to work independently, prioritize assignments, and organize work efficiently to handle large volumes of details.
- Accuracy and attention to detail required.
- Proficiency with related computer applications, spreadsheets, word processing, and database applications.
- SAFE Act Registration may be required depending on specific responsibilities assigned within the account resolution department.
- Must be bondable.